Free Tax Filing, Healthcare, and SNAP Frequently Asked Questions

Navigating through your taxes, SoonerCare/Medicaid and SNAP benefits can be complicated. We compiled some of our client's most-asked questions to help you get quick answers. Contact us for more information regarding our free tax filing services or your SoonerCare/Medicaid and SNAP applications.

When will I get my federal refund? 

The IRS normally distributes federal refunds within 21 days, however a return paper filed via mail could take longer to process. You can find your refund status here.

It’s been over 21 days since my return was filed and I still haven’t received my refund. Why? 

Many factors could play into this. Generally, some possible explanations for the refund delay are:

  1. The return was paper-filed instead of electronically-filed
  2. The return filed was flagged for identity theft
  3. The return contains errors
  4. The return requires further review 

When can I start checking for my refund status on Where’s My Refund? 

For a 2023 tax return, you can check 24 hours after your return was e-filed. For a 2021 or 2022 return, it could take 3 or 4 days after you’ve e-filed for it to appear. Paper returns are available for viewing about 4 weeks after they are mailed to the IRS.

Will Where’s My Refund give me information on my amended return’s status? 

No. Information about amended returns can be found by visiting Where’s My Amended Return

Can I file an amended return (form 1040-X) electronically? 

Yes, amended returns can be e-filed for the current tax year and two prior tax years. If a previous year was filed by sending a paper copy to the IRS, you must also send that amendment via mailing a paper copy. Check the full list of instructions here. 

Can I request a transcript or copy from the IRS for my W-2, wage, and tax statements?

Yes. However, the IRS won't be able to send a copy of your W-2 unless you submit it with a paper-filed tax return. You can get a transcript for your wage statements and Federal tax information sent by your employer by visiting the Get Your Tax Record page. This will not include state tax information.

How do I get a transcript for a previous year's state return? 

For the state of Oklahoma, you must fill out Publication 599 Request For Copy of Income Tax Return and send it to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. Fees will depend on how many years you are requesting and are outlined on the Pub. 599.

Am I required to file an Oklahoma income tax return?

If you were a full-time resident of Oklahoma and your income is over the amount for the filing status you are claiming, you must file. If you have withholding, estimated payments or qualify for a refundable credit, you should file a return for a refund.

Summary of filing status and gross income: 

  • Single, $7,350
  • Head of Household, $10,350
  • Married Filing Jointly, $14,700
  • Married Filing Separately, $7,350
  • Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child, $13,700

For the full list, please visit the Oklahoma tax help center.

Does my dependent need to file for the state of Oklahoma?

Dependents must file if they make over a certain amount of income. Single dependents must file if they made more than $6,350 and married dependents must file if they made more than $6,350.

When will I receive my Oklahoma state refund?

Estimated to be 5 to 6 weeks when filing electronically. A refund from Oklahoma for a paper filed return could take 10 to 13 weeks. Check the status of your Oklahoma refund here. 

I have a dependent. Their parent and I equally provided for them over the year. Can we both claim them when we file our taxes separately?

No. A dependent can only be claimed on one tax return per year. A mutual agreement on who is allowed to claim for the current tax year must be made between the two people who could claim the dependent. Here’s more information about who you can claim as a dependent

My child was born on December 31st, can I claim them on my tax return?

Yes. If your child was born alive at all during the tax year, and all dependent tests for claiming the child are met, you can claim your child as a dependent. Learn more about the tax filing requirements on dependents in the IRS website.

Do I need to bring my Social Security Card (or ITIN) to my tax appointment?

Yes! If you do not have your card itself, we can accept a picture, copy, prior year tax return, or government issued document (normally from the Social Security Association) that contains your full, 9-digit, SSN. View the full list of documents you should bring to your tax appointment in our taxes page.

Where can I file my taxes for free in Tulsa, Oklahoma?

Tulsa Responds and Goodwill Industries of Tulsa offer free tax filing services to eligible taxpayers through the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. Eligible families include: 

  • Limited-English speaking households
  • Persons with disabilities
  • Households with a combined income that is generally $70,000 or less

What is ACA (Affordable Care Act) insurance?

ACA insurance is also referred to as Obamacare, Marketplace Insurance, and any insurance purchased through HealthCare.Gov. This insurance is sent out on a 1095-A form which is needed to file on your taxes.

How do I get my 1095-A?

You should receive this tax form via mail no later than mid-February. However, you can also access the form on your Marketplace account by logging in and selecting “Tax Forms.”

How do I know if I qualify for Medicaid/Soonercare?

Eligibility scope is primarily determined by household size, monthly or annual income, and citizenship status. However, other categorical requirements such as age and disabilities may play a role in determining eligibility. 

What is the income limit for a single person to apply for Medicaid/Soonercare?

The annual income limit for a single person household is between $20,124 and $33,108. However, even if you think you may be over income, we encourage you to apply anyway. Check the SoonerCare and Insure Oklahoma eligibility guidelines for more information. 

How do I prove my identity and US citizenship for Soonercare benefits?

A U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization, or a certificate of citizenship can be used to prove identity and citizenship when applying for Soonercare benefits. You can also use a U.S. birth certificate to prove citizenship and a U.S. driver’s license/state ID for proof of identity. 

When can I enroll in health coverage?

Medicaid has open enrollment all year round. HealthCare.Gov has open enrollment starting November 1st and ends on December 15th (for coverage starting January 1st) or January 15th (for coverage starting February 1st). After January 15th, you may be eligible for a special enrollment period. 

Am I eligible for SNAP?

SNAP eligibility is based on household income, and in most cases, your household income must meet both the gross income and net income limits. Gross income means a household's total, non-excluded income before any deductions have been made. Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions. 

Are non-citizens eligible for SNAP?

SNAP eligibility has never been extended to undocumented non-citizens, and requirements for eligible non-citizens are complicated. Generally, as a non-citizen filing for SNAP, you must meet one of the following criteria: 

  • You must have lived in the United States for at least 5 years.
  • You must be receiving disability-related assistance or benefits.
  • You must have children under the age of 18.
  • Visit the to learn all about SNAP eligibility

Who is in a SNAP household?

Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one SNAP household according to the USDA SNAP eligibility guidelines. Some people who live together, such as spouses and most children under age 22, are included in the same SNAP household, even if they purchase and prepare meals separately.

How do I apply for SNAP?

You must apply for SNAP in the state where you currently live. Because each state has a different application form and process, a member of your household must contact your state agency directly to apply. The state of Oklahoma has an online application that can be completed through the state’s DHS website. 

What are SNAP benefits?

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, enables low-income families to buy nutritious food with Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards. SNAP recipients spend their benefits to buy eligible food in authorized retail food stores/Farmers' Markets. 

What are the work requirements to be eligible for SNAP?

In general, people must meet these requirements to be eligible. Requirements include: registering for employment, not voluntarily quitting a job or reducing hours, taking a job if offered, and/or participating in employment and training programs.

What is SoonerCare?

SoonerCare is the brand name given to Oklahoma’s Medicaid program. The Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) is the state agency that administers the program. 

How can I get help applying for Medicaid?

If you’re located in the Tulsa area, our team at Tulsa Responds can help you! You can call our number or go online to make an appointment with our team for getting enrolled in Medicaid/SoonerCare or ACA insurance (eligibility dependent). 

What is the difference between Medicaid and Medicare?

Medicare is federal health insurance for anyone age 65 and older, and some people under 65 with certain disabilities or conditions. Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that gives health coverage to some people with limited income and resources. Visit U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for more information about the differences between the Medicaid and Medicare programs.

How to apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)?

As of February 7, 2024, the Affordable Connectivity Program stopped accepting new applications or enrollments. Consumers already enrolled in the program will continue to receive their benefit until funding runs out. The last fully funded month of the program is April 2024. 

Can Tulsa Responds help me file my taxes for the Recovery Rebate Credit?

Yes! You can schedule a tax appointment with us during tax season, or during our summer session. If you already filed for 2020 and 2021, bring your documents and your copy of your tax return and we can help determine if you received the credit and amend your return if you did not receive it.

How do I get a replacement SNAP EBT card?

You must contact the DHS (in person or over the phone) and request a new card. They will send you the new card in the mail. The phone number for this specific request is 1-888-328-6551. 

Does SoonerCare cover Dental and Vision?

It covers Dental for children and adults! Vision is only covered for children.

What deductions are allowed for SNAP and/or SoonerCare?

The deductions allowed for SNAP and SoonerCare are household bills such as rent, utilities, and phone bills as deductions when figuring your income on the application(s). You may also be eligible to claim medical expenses on one or both of the applications.

Didn't find an answer?